National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) along with Upper Providence DFES want you to put a freeze on winter fires.
Below are some winter safety tips.
- Keep anything that can burn at least 3-feet from any heat source i.e.: fireplaces, wood stoves, space heaters or radiators.
- Keep portable generators outside a safe distance from your residence with the exhaust pipe facing away from the house.
- Test your Carbon Monoxide alarm at least once a month.
- Plug only one heat appliance into an outlet at one time (space heater).
- Chimney and Vents should be inspected by qualified professionals every year.
- Put cooled ashes in a metal container with a lid outside of your home at least 10 feet away from the residence and any other structure.